Upcoming CoE Webinars & Events
This webinar will present an overview of prioritization and implementation of IT consolidation in data centers. IT consolidation plays an important role in reducing IT energy use as well as the energy use of infrastructure support systems, such as cooling. Additionally, the session will discuss drivers and best practices for IT consolidation in the Federal government including the latest developments in the Data Center Optimization Initiative (DCOI).
In this course you will:
- Understand the nature of IT consolidation
- Understand the importance of IT consolidation
- Understand how IT consolidation impacts IT energy use
- Understand how IT consolidation impacts infrastructure support systems
- Understand how to perform IT consolidation
- Understand the best practices of IT consolidation
- Learn about drivers and best practices in the Federal government
- Learn about actual IT consolidation case study(ies).
Data Center Energy Practitioner (DCEP) Trainings
In order to accelerate energy savings, the data center industry and DOE partnered to develop the Data Center Energy Practitioner (DCEP) Program. The DCEP training program certifies energy practitioners qualified to evaluate the energy status and efficiency opportunities in data centers. DCEPs will:
- Be qualified to identify and evaluate energy efficiency opportunities in data centers;
- Demonstrate proficiency in the use of the Data Center Profiler (DC Pro) and select Assessment Tools
- Address energy opportunities in electrical systems, air management, HVAC, and IT equipment;
- Meet academic/work experience requirements (pre-qualifications);
- Receive training on conducting data center assessments;
- Be required to pass one or two exams.
See our dedicated DCEP page for training dates!
On Demand Web-Based Courses & Webinars
FEMP On-Demand Data Center Efficiency Series
These on-demand data center energy efficiency courses were developed as part of a larger series, developed to be a comprehensive introduction to identifying and implementing energy efficiency measures in data centers. It is recommended that they are taken sequentially in the order presented below. To register for these courses, first create an account on WBDG here. To register for an individual course, once logged into your WBDG account, click the link associated with the training below, and click "Enroll in the Course" to the right of the individual course page.
- Data Center Energy Efficiency Best Practices - registration
- This eTraining covers why energy efficient data centers are critical, the best energy efficiency opportunities, and energy management improvement processes. Topics include best practices for acquisition, benchmarking, performance metrics, and managing energy and environmental systems in Federal data centers.
- Data Center Energy Efficiency: Air Management - registration
- This eTraining will go in depth on the energy savings opportunities in air management within the data center. This course will go in depth on hot and cold aisles, containment strategies, recirculation and bypass air, airflow restriction and congestion and alternatives to underfloor air management systems.
- Data Center Energy Efficiency: Environmental Conditions - registration
- This eTraining will go in depth on the energy savings opportunities in the environmental considerations of a data center. These opportunities include room temperature considerations, humidity controls, ASHRAE Standards, and liquid cooling guidelines.
- Data Center Energy Efficiency: Cooling Systems - registration
- This eTraining will go in depth on the energy savings opportunities in the cooling systems within a data center. The opportunities include optimizing traditional cooling systems, moving to liquid cooling systems, utilizing free cooling, and correcting humidity controls.
- Data Center Energy Efficiency: Electrical Systems - registration
- This course will present best practices on energy efficiency in data centers. This eTraining will go in depth on the energy savings opportunities within the electrical system of the data center. This course will focus on efficient components and configurations of data centers, power conversions energy loss, and redundancy requirements for increased efficiency.
- Data Center Energy Efficiency: IT Equipment and Software Efficiency - registration
- This eTraining will go in depth on the energy savings opportunities within the IT equipment, such as server energy efficiency opportunities, and consolidation best practices. It will cover the efficiency ratings for different power supplies and the ways software can be managed to keep the optimal load for energy savings.
Other On-Demand Courses
- NEW!*Tutorial Webinar on DCPro.
- On-demand webinar hosted by CoE in February 2019
- View Webinar Recording | View Slides
- Big Results in Small Places: Exploring the Untapped Energy Efficiency Potential of Small Data Centers.
- FEMP16 Advanced HVAC in High-Tech Buildings: Data Centers - registration
- This course covers the best known methods for reducing the energy-intensity of data centers by utilizing server-virtualization, optimizing the temperature within the data center, selecting energy-efficient cooling options, how to arrange server racks and aisles and many other efficiency opportunities. It emphasizes the need for server administrators to work with, rather than independent of facility operators.