Utilities and state energy offices are critical partners in disseminating energy efficiency information, opportunities, and incentives for the marketplace. Utilities are well positioned to help data center customers realize significant energy and cost savings through the pursuit of energy efficient opportunities. This page provides resources on data center energy efficiency geared specifically towards utilities. It also provides as well as high level documents that can serve as a helpful starting point for utility management and data center operators alike. Resources include guidance on:
- Educating customers on the vast energy savings opportunities in data centers
- Providing implementation assistance
- Understanding & designing effective customer-facing energy efficiency programs for data centers
- Case studies and success stories
Database of State Incentives for Renewables & Efficiency
The Database of State Incentives for Renewables & Efficiency (DSIRE) houses information on the financial incentives available for efficient data center equipment. The DSIRE database can be searched or filtered to access the relevant information. To see the list of programs with a data center offering, click the Programs tab from the main header then Apply Filter. Filter by Technology>Energy Efficiency>Other>Data Center Equipment.
Incentives from Consortium for Energy Efficiency Members
The Consortium for Energy Efficiency (CEE)'s Data Centers and Business IT Program Summary provides a downloadable Excel spreadsheet of the data center incentives that CEE members offer. CEE members include investor-owned or municipal utilities, state or provincial energy offices, government agencies, and nonutility program administrators.
- Energy Star: Understanding and Designing Energy Efficiency Programs for Data Centers
- NRDC: Utility Energy Efficiency Program Design: Server Room Assessments and Retrofits
- DC Pro
- Best Practices Guide
- Database of State Incentives
- Presentation Slides: Federal Utility Partnership for Data Centers Webinar